That’s a pretty easy question, anyone…everyone can answer that…” — Eddie Izzard, Cake or Death
Sleep or Death? Too Dramatic?
Not according to this neat little infographic.
You need more sleep.
It is as simple as that. Your health and longevity depends on getting 7–9 hours of good, quality sleep on a consistent basis. It is a matter of sleep or death.
We are seasonal eaters and breeders with a feast-famine metabolism who develop diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and severe depression on anything less than 9.5 hours a night for at least seven months out of the year.” - Lights Out! Sleep, Sugar and Survival, T.S Wiley & Bent Formby
If you (or the people in charge of your health and safety) are continually getting less than 6 hours sleep a night — and surveys have found that between 30% and 60% of us are likely to be in this boat — you are at higher risk of:
- Weight gain
- Breast cancer
- Heart disease
- Appearing to have the brain function of a person who is drunk
- Getting slammed by junk food cravings
- Crashing your car
- Crashing your aeroplane
- Medical mishap
- Type 2 diabetes
- …and that is just the tip of the iceberg!
Created by: MedicalBillingandCodingCertification.net
Why does sleep have so much impact on our health and longevity?
Melatonin is the “time-keeper” hormone that regulates the levels and timing of other hormones in our body.
Less sleep means less opportunity for the melatonin secreted at night (or during complete darkness) to reach optimal levels.
This has a cascading effect that disrupts our bodies regulation of the rhythm of a whole heap of other hormones including:
- Leptin and ghrelin: affecting our appetite and energy storage
- Prolactin: affecting our sex hormones, reproductive and immune system
- Insulin and cortisol: affecting our energy storage and stress response
- Serotonin and dopamine: affecting our mental state, food cravings and our perception of food reward
- …this is also, just the tip of the iceberg!
You can find my top 5 tactics to get a better night’s sleep here.
And, if that is not enough, I highly recommend getting your hands on a copy of Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar and Survival.
So, do you need more sleep?
If you are reading this after sunset, on your super luminous computer or iPad screen:
- Leave us a comment at the bottom of this post.
- Check your Facebook one last time and if you haven’t already, go over and ‘like’ Eat. Sleep. Move.
- Then shut off your device, turn down the lights, and consider an early bedtime!
Go on now! It may be a matter of sleep or death!